There are multiple ways you can be involved with The Hidden Orchard!
If you have or know of a fruit tree that is neglected, bearing more fruit than you can use or is a fruit that you don’t like, let’s not let it go to waste: register your trees and we’ll call to have a talk about organising a harvest. It is preferable to have a few trees that a small team can harvest at one time. If you need help looking after your tree, we may be able to help by pruning or advising on various aspects of tree health and maintenance. As a tree owner, you are eligible for 1/3 of the fruit harvested. You are not obliged to take your share; many owners already have enough of the fruit and are happy to have their share split between the pickers and charities.
Become a harvest picker! No prior experience necessary. For each harvest, we have a nominated leader who will provide direction. One third of the fruit picked is shared between the pickers, so you get to take some lovely freshly picked fruit home. If it’s a big harvest, there might be enough for jam or juicing; otherwise, you’ll have a full fruit bowl. Many times the fruit from neglected trees is small, so it is concentrated in taste and the perfect size for kids lunchboxes.
The Hidden Orchard needs logistical and practical help from time to time. Some of the behind-the-scenes jobs include:
- storing harvested fruit awaiting delivery (do you have a cool store?!)
- delivering to local charities
- organising and/or leading a specific harvest event
- advising home owners on how to look after their fruit trees
- pruning fruit trees in Winter
- marketing & promotional activities (e.g. copying or distributing fliers)
- posting to website or social media
- taking photographs of events
- talking to media organisations